Student set goals to become better versions of themselves

Whether it be social, physical, or academic, Mavericks find new ways to better themselves in anticipation of the new semester. For many, it is a fresh start and an opportunity to be the best they can be.

Some students are tired of being mediocre versions of themselves. With a new semester, they are taking full advantage of a second chance.

Whether it’s eating better, improving study routines or kicking a bad habit, Mavericks are full of resolutions. As students, resolving to be better versions of themselves is on their minds. Here are some of the resolutions students had for this semester.

Friends

Chemical engineering junior Nathan Jolly made friends last semester with a group of students who hang out on the second floor of the University Center, he said. They gather around a table surrounded by chairs in the back corner of the room, talking for hours. Half of them even sit in the same seat.

He loves the camaraderie, but he said it’s time to get serious.

“I’m done sitting here and chit-chatting,” Jolly said.

Instead, he said he’s going to spend more time with the American Society of Mechanical Engineers, he said. He said he thinks surrounding himself with its members will help him focus on his studies because it’s a more productive environment.

Jolly said he will miss the group. He likes consistency, so he said it will be hard avoiding his friends.

“I know that there is always a spot for me here,” he said.

Health

Some students want to ditch their poor eating habits in exchange for a better diet.

Architecture sophomore Jovoni Salas said he wants to be more conscious of what he puts in his body. He started making himself breakfast every morning and said it gives him energy to make it through the day. 

All aerospace engineering freshman Alex Durr has to do to keep true to his resolution is remember he packed his lunch.

He promised himself he would spend less money on food. Typically, Durr goes to the food court or Connection Café with friends for lunch, but said it is tough to do every day with low funds. Instead, he packs his lunch, but admits he can be absent-minded at times.

“Honestly, I packed my lunch for today and it’s still sitting in my backpack,” Durr said.

Biology freshman Destin Trojacek said he was tired of eating junk food from vending machines.

“The healthiest thing in there is a granola bar, but who wants to eat that every day?” he said.

This semester, Trojacek said he is staying away from the chips and candy bars.

Academics

Visual communications sophomore Manny Herrera said sometimes, life happens. Last semester, he often had to give rides to family members and ended up missing class.

Herrera missed class three times and said it was enough to hurt his grades. He knows he cannot stop family emergencies from happening, but said he will try to manage his time better, so when something does happen, he has a grip on things.

“I could focus on my classes more, so when something does happen, I’m not behind,” Herrera said.

Herrera also knows that studying is important to be successful in the classroom. He said he wants to set a study schedule for himself and kick last semester’s habits of putting off work until the end.

“I have to focus more on what they are teaching in class and do my homework,” Herrera said.

For graduate students, beginning the next phase of their academic career is a must.

Danish Dawood, ccounting graduate student and Mr. UTA, is in his first year of graduate school and said he wants to start it off right.

“I want to make good grades and keep my GPA high,” Dawood said.

Dawood said he is confident and thinks he will be in good shape, but knows his schedule will be tough as both an ambassador for the university and a graduate student.

“It’s going to be crazy, but I can handle it,” Dawood said.

@BraulioATellez1