Apple music is the new kid on the block when it comes to streaming, and students have mixed reviews.

According to the Apple website, you can have access to the full Apple Music library, recommendations and unlimited skips on iTunes radio stations for $9.99 a month. They are also offering a free three-month trial membership.

Biology senior Ibrahim Abdel has downloaded multiple albums to his phone with Apple Music’s new streaming feature. Abdel said the playlists created by Apple are pretty good, but he wishes Apple music had mixtapes.

“Everything on there is either singles or albums,” Abdel said. “There isn’t a way to listen to every artists’ full songs. If there was a way to click an artist’s name and choose from all of their songs, that would be good.”

Abdel said that he isn’t sure if he’s going to keep Apple Music after his free trial ends. The $10 price is a determining factor for him. He’s tried multiple streaming sites, but prefers to use SoundCloud and 8tracks to listen to music.

Maria Gomez, Spanish translation and interpreting junior, said even though Apple music has a trial period, she didn’t get it because it’s possible to get tricked into keeping the membership at the end of it. She prefers to use Pandora, even though there are ads, because it is fast and the music is readily available.

“There’s iTunes radio, already,” Gomez said. “There’s also Pandora and Spotify, which is pretty much the same thing Apple is trying to do now. They really are behind in the game.”

Other options for streaming include Spotify, Tidal and Pandora. These streaming services require a subscription, but have free limited options. Both Apple Music and Spotify are about $10 a month and have an advertised library music size of 30 million songs. Alumnus Ty Smith prefers to use SoundCloud to listen to music because it’s completely free and it’s easier for him to build his own playlists.

“There’s more of a selection,” Smith said. “Spotify is comparable, but you have to have a subscription. With SoundCloud, you don’t have to have one.”

If she could, Joanna Simental, Spanish translation and interpreting senior, would have a way for music streaming to be more personalized, with fewer ads.

“I would have a music questionnaire or quiz to see what music you’re really into,” Simental said. “That way the music is customized to how it fits your style.”

When setting up Apple Music, users’ input is required, similar to the personalized recommendations Simental suggests. The Apple website says the streaming service will bring music suggestions to users when they input their favorite genres and bands.

Film sophomore Jay Black said that the streaming industry is hurting us as consumers.

Now, artists have deals with different streaming sites to have their albums exclusively available on that particular site. Black said artists are doing this to prevent piracy, because you can’t download the music and re-upload it somewhere else.

“We’re being forced to pick what site or what app to use in order to listen to music,” Black said. “Lil Wayne just released a new album, but it’s exclusive to Tidal. Drake’s new album is going to be released exclusively on Apple Music. A big con of this is you don’t technically own the music that you buy and that potentially causes problems.”

@annaxgabriela

anna.gutierrez28@mavs.uta.edu