Streaming kicks DVDs to curb

Pre-nursing sophomore Syed Abood and nursing sophomore Kim Tran stream Rise of the Guardians on FandangoNOW on Feb. 27 in the Palo Duro Lounge. Many students use streaming services, such as FandangoNOW, Netflix and Hulu to watch their favorite TV shows and movies.

Streaming is becoming the wave of the future. With different forms of visual entertainment services, streaming services are making headway.

Video stores are like streaming services, said Bart Weiss, art and art history associate professor. When someone walked into Blockbuster, there were endless possibilities of content, and when somebody logs into Netflix, there are endless channels.

Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Prime Video’s original content is expensive, because they are getting A-list directors, writers, actors and producers, Weiss said.

According to Netflix, the streaming service expected to spend over $6 billion on content. The service offers 125 million hours of TV shows and movies, including original content that members can access.

“People are looking for things that are edgier to give people more creative freedom, because that’s what’s going to draw attention,” Weiss said.

Film and video lecturer Rebecca Flores said creativity in films produced in Hollywood is dominated by big studios and executive producers, but creativity in independent films is controlled by filmmakers.

Streaming services are changing how viewers see advertisements. They play shorter commercials in the middle of content instead of at the beginning and end, Flores said.

Weiss said advertisements will never die, because they allow viewers to consume media at a lower price. In broadcast TV, commercials are regulated by the Federal Communication Commission. However, internet TV has less obtrusive and more interesting ways to influence the media, including product placement.

“We’re going to be drowning in commercials, and then eventually we’re all going to lose our minds,” art senior Mason McNeal said.

Radio and cable have a commanality in competing with streaming services. Both cannot compete with the instantaneousness of streaming, McNeal said.

Cable will survive because people need internet service, which comes through cable providers, Weiss said. In addition, cable providers own the wires that go into houses and have deals with content providers such as HBO.

“People have been calling for the demise of cinema longer than they have been calling for the demise of Apple,” Weiss said. “Neither of them have died.”

Because people find it more cost effective to stream content, cable satellite may eventually die, Flores said. They do not want a thousand channels anymore.

“I actually think that the industry is pushing out DVDs and moving toward streaming,” Flores said.

Because of 3-D movies and theater performances, Flores said, cinemas are making a comeback from the 1990s and the 2000s.

Cinemas will thrive, because film distribution and expedition are better than they have ever been, Weiss said. Movie theaters play various films, including foreign and independent movies. They showcase live art, music, theater and jazz performances.

Places like the Alamo Drafthouse Cinema and Studio Movie Grill serve drinks and food to enhance their customers’ cinematic experiences, Weiss said.

In Weiss’ office, he said about 350 VHS cassette tapes and 1,000 DVDs and Blu-rays take up space. He would love to clean his shelves and transfer the optical media, physical copies, into a searchable database.

Optical media will not survive, because it takes up physical space, Weiss said. In addition, it’s easier to search for a digital copy than a physical one of a film or TV collection.

“Somebody will have something in their garage and make a fortune,” Weiss said. “Whatever it is, it will have amazing things, and it will have things that people will miss about the old way. People will be nostalgic.”

@cassidysisler20