default avatar
Welcome to the site! Login or Signup below.
|
||
Logout|My Dashboard

Rocktober ends with metal band The Raven Charter

Print
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Related YouTube Video

Posted: Wednesday, October 23, 2013 6:30 pm | Updated: 7:14 pm, Wed Oct 23, 2013.

Rocktober ended with a big bang today as Dallas-based progressive rock outfit The Raven Charter performed live at the University Center Mall. 

“I heard the chord progression that was going on, and the feel of the singer captivated me,” communication technology junior Octavius Robinson said.

Rocktober is an annual event that takes place from noon to 1 p.m. every Wednesday of October, the last event taking place today.

“The singer started singing in a higher pitch toward the end,” Robinson said. “The intensity of the bass player was influential — he was headbanging. The drummer was pretty heavy with the double kicks. The singer kind of reminded me of something that, you know, KISS would do. The style that they do is pretty unique with hard and soft stuff interspersed.“ 

Students stopped for a while on their way to class and got a glimpse of the live show. Biology junior Shyam Pandya, who is looking to start his own metal band, heard there was a metal band on campus and decided to check it out. 

“I do vocals and I am a huge metal fan,” he said. “I was walking down the Woolf Hall and I heard heavy bass sound. I also saw the bassist headbanging, so yeah, it was all pretty metal. I heard the vocalist and he sang in a very nice range. I enjoyed the chord progressions and melodies so I stuck around.” 

Broadcast communication senior Valerie Maedgen, who is the promotions director for UTA Radio, mentioned that UTA Radio’s station manager Charlie Vann booked The Raven Charter for the event.

“I’ve heard about them and they are an amazing band,” she said. ”The band sounds so professional and put together. This was my first time watching them and they killed it. I cannot think of a better band to end Rocktober with. I hope we top ourselves next year.“

@shreyas_gune

shreyas.gune@mavs.uta.edu

More about

More about

More about

Rules of Conduct

• 1 Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
  • 2 Don't Threaten or Abuse. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated. AND PLEASE TURN OFF CAPS LOCK.
  • 3 Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
  • 4 Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
  • 5 Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
  • 6 Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.

Featured Classified Ad