When Tom Kirlin was in college, pancakes were the best way to sober up after a long night of drinking.

On those nights, he often found himself half-drunkenly contemplating how cool it would be to have a pancakes and booze restaurant. Years later, when he was thinking of ideas for an art show, he knew it was time to incorporate his college dream. Kirlin is the founder, owner and CEO of the Pancakes and Booze Art Show.

The Pancakes and Booze Art Show is coming back to Dallas for its fourth year 8 p.m. Saturday at The Prophet Bar. It is Dallas’s largest pop-up, underground art show with over 100 local emerging artists. There will be art on display, live painting, body painting - where artists paint nude models - DJs, and sweetest of all, pancakes and maple syrup.

Kirlin said the first Pancakes and Booze Art Show was held in Los Angeles and expanded to art hubs around the U.S.

All great cities have art, said Janet Aguirre, print-making senior and local artist. New York has its fashion, Austin has its music and Dallas is doing a little bit of everything, she said.

“Dallas is pretty unique, because we have a lot of underground culture,” Aguirre said. “We have some really great murals and graffiti artists and some really great musicians”

An underground art show consists of non-mainstream artists, Kirlin said. He said they are essential to his goal, which is giving emerging artists an outlet to showcase their work.

Aguirre said underground art shows are how she began to make networks and friends within the Dallas art community.

“It’s not always about big corporations, it’s about supporting each other.” Aguirre said. “Our art fairs and even our flea markets, where people sell handcrafted goods.”

Kirlin said galleries can be pretentious and hard to get into. This is why he wanted to create a supportive and welcoming atmosphere for young artists. He said the artists showcased at the event get more exposure in one night than they would in months at a gallery. The Dallas event draws about 1,500 people throughout the night.

“It’s the size of a small rock show, where the rock stars are the artists,” Kirlin said.

Most of the artists at the event are local to the Dallas area, but some artists will be from Austin, Houston, and other surrounding cities, Kirlin said.

Every time the event returns to Dallas, the returning audience has something new to see, Kirlin said. The show is expected to have around 500 pieces on display, all a part of a completely new lineup, he said.

Pancakes are all-you-can-eat, accompanied by two bars: one for pancake toppings and one for booze. The event is open to everyone 21 and up.

@arianamariel_