default avatar
Welcome to the site! Login or Signup below.
|
||
Logout|My Dashboard

Festival to raise awareness of fine art

Print
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Thursday, September 26, 2013 4:15 pm | Updated: 3:12 pm, Thu Feb 6, 2014.

Steve Moya, the founder and organizer of South Street Art Festival, said that organizing the festival has been his passion.

Moya planned the event, including choosing the featured artists and publicizing the event. He said he hopes that UTA students will attend.

“Whether they’re into art or not, it exposes them to art they might not experience otherwise,” Moya said. “It’s a learning experience.”

This weekend, downtown Arlington will host the first South Street Art Festival, which begins at 5 p.m. Sept. 27 and will run until Sept. 29. Artist booths, a live music stage and food truck vendors will be located along Main Street in downtown Arlington.

“I think it would greatly improve the art community and encourage more art students to become involved,” freshman drawing major Madison Carter said.

The festival’s artist booths will showcase about 75 artists from around the country in 11 different mediums: ceramics, drawing, fiber, glass, jewelry, metal, mixed media, painting, photography, sculpture and wood.

In addition to the artist booths, local musicians such as blues musician Buddy Whittington and Swan Song, a Led Zeppelin tribute band, will play on the Coors Light Stage at the corner of South and East streets. Food trucks and restaurants along Main Street will be serving food for hungry artists and festival attendees.

Alex Pietroforte, the head of Marketing and Communications said that she thinks the South Street Art Festival will bring another unique cultural event to Arlington.

“I hope the awareness of fine art will expand,” Moya said. “I hope the event will grow to compete with Dallas and Fort Worth. I want Arlington to be on the map in the art world.”

@beatyrichardson

beaty.richardson@mavs.uta.edu

More about

More about

More about

Rules of Conduct

• 1 Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
  • 2 Don't Threaten or Abuse. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated. AND PLEASE TURN OFF CAPS LOCK.
  • 3 Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
  • 4 Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
  • 5 Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
  • 6 Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.

Featured Classified Ad