default avatar
Welcome to the site! Login or Signup below.
|
||
Logout|My Dashboard

Pentatonix returns to Levitt Pavilion

Print
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Sunday, September 1, 2013 1:08 am | Updated: 5:43 pm, Mon Sep 2, 2013.

The air thrummed with energy as thousands of fans waited for Pentatonix to come on stage. Both new fans and old friends came to watch the a cappella group perform on Aug. 31 at the Levitt Pavilion.

Pentatonix
Avi Kaplan, left, Kirstie Maldonado, center, and Mitch Grassi sing together during Pentatonix’s performance on Aug. 31 at the Levitt Pavilion. This was Pentatonix’s second concert in Arlington. (The Shorthorn: Victoria Ponceti) Victoria Ponceti

The five-person musical group received its start in Arlington in 2011. Arlington-native vocalist Kirstie Maldonado was thrilled to be performing in Arlington again this year, after the group’s performance at the Levitt Pavilion in 2012.

Pentatonix
Kirstie Maldonado adds her harmony to the mix during Pentatonix’s performance on Aug. 31 at the Levitt Pavilion. Maldonado was very excited to be performing in Arlington again. (The Shorthorn: Victoria Ponceti) Victoria Ponceti

“It’s really cool to be back and be in your hometown and have so many people that know you support you,” Maldonado said. “It’s just really cool. We feel a lot of love from here.”

The group rose to fame by winning season 3 of NBC’s “The Sing-Off” and have continued to expand its musical career.

Each member of the group has a distinct vocal background role, such as beatboxing, vocal bass and falsetto-singing. Lead vocalist Scott Hoying says that he appreciates the diversity and unity of the group.

Pentatonix
Singer and beatboxer Kevin “K.O.” Olusola beatboxes while playing the cello during Pentatonix’s performance on Aug. 31 at the Levitt Pavilion. Olusola calls this skill “celloboxing” and developed it in college in 2009. (The Shorthorn: Victoria Ponceti) Victoria Ponceti

“I like that each of us individually are really staying true to ourselves,”  Hoying said. “We’re taking all of our influences and what we like and creating and adapting it to our sound.”

The group is known for performing and recording covers of other artists’ songs, but is now focusing on more original music. Pentatonix is currently working on its second album, PTX  Volume 2. The performance at the Levitt Pavilion served as a kick-off for its fall tour. 

Pentatonix
The members of Pentatonix perform “Video Killed the Radio Star” by The Buggles during their performance on Aug. 31 at the Levitt Pavilion. The group is comprised of three lead vocalists, a vocal bass and a beatboxer. (The Shorthorn: Victoria Ponceti) Victoria Ponceti

@victoriajayne5

victoria.ponceti@mavs.uta.edu

More about

More about

More about

Rules of Conduct

• 1 Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
  • 2 Don't Threaten or Abuse. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated. AND PLEASE TURN OFF CAPS LOCK.
  • 3 Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
  • 4 Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
  • 5 Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
  • 6 Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.

Featured Classified Ad