Mr. UTA inspires with positive energy

Dillian Frelow, business management and marketing senior, hosts UTA Blue and White Family’s 1st Annual Black History Program on Feb. 2 at the University Center Rosebud Theatre. Frelow kept the audience laughing and engaged throughout the event.

Most cubicles in the lower level of the University Center are decorated with pictures of friends and family, and office supplies. But on Dillian Frelow’s desk, a golden plaque sits engraved with words one may appropriately describe as ‘flawless’: What Would Beyonce Do?

He is Mr. UTA, Alpha Tau Omega fraternity member, member of the Leadership Honors Program, a wrangler for the Wrangler Spirit Organization and member of several other organizations on campus. He is double majoring  in business management and marketing with hopes of pursuing higher education in graduate school. Eventually, he would like to become a motivational speaker, Frelow said.

“That’s my end goal,” Frelow said. “Practice makes perfect; perfect practice actually makes perfect.”

Frelow wore a smile as he spoke about the importance of “being your authentic self” and how this plays a role in the way student lives are led.

“You define your role, you don’t let anyone else define who you are,” Frelow said. “A lot of people get caught up on what people think about them. You might spend more time focusing on giving that image of what you’re not to someone to make their expectations more a reality. But you need to make your expectations a reality yourself. Because inside of you, you know this is who you are, and it’s your purpose.”

His energy picked up and his gestures quickened as he spoke about what it means to uplift one’s self.

“Anything that you put your name on, give it 110 percent,” he said. “No matter who’s in the room. At that moment you’re sitting right there. Your seat, that you’re sitting in does not have a less value than any other seat that’s in that room. You’re in that seat because you deserve to be in that seat.”

Frelow said his biggest accomplishment thus far was a STARS College Conference where he had the chance to speak in front of 1,400 professional staff members.

“That was the hugest thing I have ever did,” Frelow said. “If I can get up here and be comfortable on stage, then I know that this is meant to be.” 

Kevin Moore, accounting senior and UTA Ambassador, is Frelow’s fraternity brother. He recounts seeing him in his Wranglers spirit uniform and giving his all with no regard to what other people thought of him. Moore said that’s when he first noticed Frelow’s positive energy.

“I think that’s something you admire in someone, to know they don’t care what anyone thinks,” Moore said. “It’s refreshing to meet someone who’s comfortable in their own skin, to be themselves. That’s something I respected about him.”

From his friendship with Frelow, he has learned to be more confident in his decisions and give himself more credit for what he does.

“We as people should start taking pride in our accomplishments because we earned them,” Moore said. “Anything I do, I’m going to post it. I’m happy about it, I’m putting it on my timeline for me to look back on and see, not for anybody else. That’s one thing I’ve learned is that you have to live for yourself.”

Frelow said representation of black students and other students of color in university organizations has seemed to improve every year since he was a freshman. He also acknowledged the growth of the NAACP chapter and the Black Student Association. Black pride has been a space for black Americans to come together and be proud of who they are, Frelow said. He added that the same exists for people of other backgrounds, and students can have pride in the organizations they’re involved in as well.

“Whenever we say ‘black power,’ we’re proud of our culture,” Frelow said. “We’re proud to celebrate of how far we have came in life. And the thing about it is, we want everyone else to feel that powerful of their background and where they come from. The only way we work is by being together. I just feel like being in UTA and coming to a new experience like being in a new organization, that togetherness is what makes us a whole,” Freelow said.

Razeena Moosa, business management and marketing senior, is close friends with Frelow and got to witness his confidence in speaking firsthand as they shared a speech class together. Moosa is Ms. UTA, and it worked out that the two won Mr. and Ms. UTA the same year. But the titles are not what’s important, Moosa said.

“This organization really did play a big role in our relationship,” Moosa said. “But now it’s just about Dillian and Razeena. Remove the titles and it’s Razeena and Dillian. Like, we get lit, like he would say.” 

Moosa said their time together has been loud and filled with laughter, resembling a tight, brother-and- sister-like bond.

“I get my ab workouts with him,” Moosa said with a serious face, motioning over to Frelow, who happened to be laughing with someone else around the corner.

@NnennaIjomah

features-editor@theshorthorn.uta