At the Honoring Sisters On Campus event Monday night, members of A Collection of Brothers did just that.

One high heel after another, female students dominated the stage at the Rosebud Theatre to accept awards such as Most Intellectual, Active, Diverse and Athletic from members of A Collection of Brothers. The awards show is an annual event hosted by the organization to uplift and recognize the efforts and talents of women on campus.

“African-American women don’t really get the recognition they always deserve,” said Desmine Williams, organization community service chair. “We feel like it was our time to help uplift them and make sure they have a night to be proud of themselves.”

The event opened with a song performance of “It's A Man's Man's Man's World” by kinesiology junior Caitilin Robinson.

Later, comedy skits, music videos, live performances and even a fashion show were presented to a lively audience clad in suits and glitter as winners were announced throughout the night. Winners for all but two of the night’s awards were chosen by public polling.

In between awards, organization members kept the crowd entertained. Among the night’s highlights were a fashion show which featured cultural attire, bodysuits and a pink latex dress. This was followed by an a cappella audience performance of “Act Up” by City Girls.

A Collection of Brothers was founded at UTA as an all male networking organization and later expanded to include community service and women empowerment among its pillars, organization vice president Branlon Allen said.

The event has been a tradition since 2006 and is open to all women on campus, Allen said.

It is common for female friends of the organization to receive an encouraging “Hey, queen!” from members of the organization on campus, education sophomore Azaria Smith said. Smith, who is involved in about seven student organizations, was nominated for Most Active.

After his first Honoring Sisters On Campus event, organization publicity chair Joseph Ibe was able to recognize the way in which women are treated unfairly. For the kinesiology senior, the main purpose of the event is to show the women around him that they are valued, he said.

Public health junior Tronia Tante was surprised when she was nominated for most talented. Efforts to empower women are pretty common from other women, but this acknowledgment is less common among men, the dancer said.

For nursing freshman Hadja Diallo, growing up with a darker skin tone means receiving less recognition than her lighter skinned counter parts.

“COB doing this for a collection of women that are darker toned, it just shows that people care about us, and we’re loved,” Diallo said.

@edmedeles