All the Conscious Crew wants to do is ignite a dialogue.

The Conscious Crew, made up of broadcasting communication senior Derica Booker and speech communication senior Andre’ Daily, started the radio show, by the same name, during spring 2015 with a vision. The vision was to have a show that pushed the envelope and provoked people to think critically. The show now airs from 4 to 6 p.m. Fridays on UTA Radio.

“For us, whenever you hear the word conscious, it always gets a paid rep for being really radical and over-the-top and disturbing the peace,” Booker said. “We wanted to redefine the word conscious. Conscious to us just means being awake, being alert and opening our minds to something different.”

Booker and Daily agreed that the most prevalent topics for them has been the Black Lives Matter movement and anything affecting the black community, whether that be from a political standpoint or things happening in pop culture. Booker emphasized that they weren’t necessarily talking about anything new, but elaborating on a conversation that is already being had by many people.

Daily said the show’s purpose isn’t to be judgmental, but to be more objective. He said he hopes the listeners walk away more open-minded.

“You can go anywhere and find gossip,” Daily said. “We wanted to be more objective and look at things with a more positive light. Our goal is to get people to look at stuff from a perspective other than their own.”

Psychology junior Danielle Moore’s first time listening to the show was during the fall and said the topics she heard Booker and Daily talking about were relevant to what she thinks is going on.

“I’m pretty aware of what’s going on in the world, and I think they do a good job of getting it out to the students,” Moore said. “Whenever an issue arises in the black community, I know they talk about it.”

Moore said she knows not everyone is comfortable listening to what they have to talk about, but it’s important that other people listen anyway.

Booker said she and Daily have been considered militant and controversial, but that isn’t the case. She said they do stir up a bit of a dialogue and get people who disagree with them at times, but that doesn’t bother them because it means that everyone is forming their own opinions.

“Anytime you can consider anything controversial, it’s because people are uncomfortable talking about it,” Booker said. “We’re two radical black kids just trying to create a dialogue and get some conversation and talk about some things that are really, really concerning our community.”

@christianalexb