8 commuter-approved songs to add to your playlist

Rascall Flatts said “Life Is a Highway,” Rihanna said “Shut Up and Drive” and Kanye West said to “Drive Slow Homie.” Driving often serves as the subject to music, but music can also be what gets students though their drives.

For commuter students, this can be especially true.

“It kind of just takes the edge off of everything I have to do for the day,” biology senior Keandre Taylor said. “Kind of just lets me think about just the drive, the music and nothing else.”

The Shorthorn spoke to commuter students about what bops make their daily voyages a little easier — and in some cases, something to look forward to.

1. Public health senior Whitney Nguyen: “Without Me,” Halsey

“That’s been on repeat, in my head for the last couple days and I don’t know why,” Nguyen said.

Jams out in the car: Yes, I sing my heart out.

Has cried in car during commute to music: No, I’m not that emotional.

Commute time: 15-20 minutes

2. Psychology senior Desiree Banez: “February 3rd,” Jorja Smith

Banez sported Odd Future socks on Friday, but listens to more than just Tyler, the Creator. The psychology senior can also be caught listening to early 2000s jams. Lately, the rainy and cold weather has got her listening to rhythm and blues, hence Jorja Smith, a sad girl fave.

Jams out in the car: Yes. I sing out loud and dance.

Has cried in car during commute to music: Yes

Commute time: 30 minutes

3. Biology senior Keandre Taylor: "La Gloria de Dios,” Ricardo Montaner

Taylor said his taste in music is “exclusive and weird,” and by exclusive and weird he means he listens to Spanish Christian music. This is how Taylor continues to study the language, he said. He has studied it for nearly nine years.

Jams out in the car: Yes. I just sing. I used to dance until my brother caught me and told me it was reckless driving.

Commute time: 26 minutes

4. Biology senior Mona Khan: "Eastside," Benny Blanco (with Halsey & Khalid)

The biology senior often chooses the soundtrack to her commute based on the weather. Her likes include pop, R&B and hip-hop, but mostly she’s listening to Drake’s newest album, Scorpion.

Jams out in the car: No, I usually just listen. I’m pretty boring.

Commute time: 45-55 minutes

5. Graphic design senior Nesma Hassan: “No Me Acuredo,” Thalía and Natti Natasha

Like Taylor, Hassan listens to Latin music to study the language and improve her vocabulary. She may have given up on her Spanish minor, but not her desire to continue to learn the language.

Jams out in the car: Yes, if there’s no one there I dance. Even if someone’s with me, I still sing.

Commute time: 30-40 minutes

6. Business junior David Hoang: “Late Night,” ODESZA

Hoang listens to electronic dance music everywhere he goes, he said.

“For me, it provides a nostalgic feel as I drive,” Hoang said. “It’s really powerful music and can evoke an emotion without any lyrics included.”

Jams out in the car: Yes, I dance and I’ve definitely been caught.

Commute time: 20-30 minutes

7. Information systems senior Salvador Ontiveros: “Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds,” The Beatles

Ontiveros listens to mostly indie-rock bands like Beach House, Tame Impala and the Guerrillas. However, he has recently started listening to The Beatles again.

Jams out in the car: I scream the lyrics.

Has cried in car during commute to music: Yes, but not because the song is sad. Because of the people the song reminds me of.

Commute time: 20-25 minutes

8. Anthropology sophomore Abdisalam Mohamud: “Just Because,” AZ

This fits right in with Mohamud’s current vibe. He said lately he has been listening prominently to ’90s East Coast hip-hop, but admits that sometimes he’ll throw Ed Sheeran into the mix.

Jams out in the car: I usually keep it chill.

Has cried in car during commute to music: No, I’ll be the kind of person to listen to a sad song and enjoy the moment.

Commute time: 10 minutes

@arianamariel_