Andy Mineo

Hip-hop artist Andy Mineo performs onstage during the 45th Annual Dove Awards on Oct. 14 at Allen Arena in Nashville, Tennessee. 

Andy Mineo wants you to get out of your comfort zone. 

The Christian hip-hop artist is performing in Arlington during the first weekend of his Uncomfortable Tour at 7 p.m. Sunday at Texas Hall. He’s headlining with singer SPZRKT and will be performing featured tracks from his most recent album Uncomfortable.

“We’re excited about Texas,” Mineo said. “Texas is our biggest market. I know for sure its going to be a lot of energy and a lot of love out there.” 

Mineo has been writing raps since he was 10 years old, where he wrote verses with his friends on torn off pieces of cardboard. When he turned 17, he found new purpose as a follower in Christ and sought to include him in every aspect of his life, including in music. 

“Rap is a very honest art form,” Mineo said. “This isn’t a gimmick. It’s just our lives have honestly been changed by God. This is the most important thing in our lives, and that spills through our music.”

However, Mineo doesn’t like when rappers are degraded because of them being a “Christian rapper.”  

“It marginalizes us,” Mineo said. “We’re talented artists, and our music isn’t just for Christians. It’s for everybody.”

In the past, UTA has been very receptive to the Christian hip-hop scene, with one of the most popular acts being rapper Lecrae in 2012, university spokeswoman Kristin Sullivan said.

“It’s interesting because over the years, one of the most popular musical events we’ve had over there was Lecrae,” Sullivan said. 

Mineo is a frequent collaborator with Lecrae and signed on to his label, Reach records, in 2011. TKO marketing President Linda Klosterman said everyone has been busy for the opening weekend of the tour, and Mineo is excited.

“No matter what size crowd they put in front of me, you know, we’re going to put on a good show,” Mineo said. “It’s poetry in motion.” 

@dDUnn87

davidadunn@mavs.uta.edu