Celebrate togetherness during National Pie Day

Students can celebrate by grabbing a slice of their favorite pie on Tuesday because it's Pie Day. Scrumbcious Pie Company in Mesquite serves traditional pies and owner and baker Sherry Howard created a PieShake recipe. 

A pie is a taste of home.

At least that’s what Sherry Howard, the owner and baker of Scrumbscious Burgers & PieShakes, says.

Pie-lovers everywhere can celebrate Pie Day on Tuesday by enjoying a slice of their favorite pie. Pie-lovers get two national holidays dedicated to their beloved dessert: Dec. 1 and Jan. 23.

Scrumbcious Pie Company is a family-owned business located in Mesquite. Howard said the business was originally based out of her home. Howard started making handmade pies as a stay-at-home mom. She created an online pie business, and it eventually grew into a full-service restaurant. Scrumbscious Burgers & PieShakes will be six years old in January.

Howard said pie is unique from other desserts.

“It’s one of the main desserts during holidays, whereas cakes are more for weddings and birthdays,” Howard said. “A pie is a symbol of togetherness.”

Visual communication sophomore Manuel Herrera said his favorite pie during the holidays is peanut butter pie made by his mother.

“My favorite pie is my cranberry pear crumb,” Howard said. “It’s unique. The cranberries have a bit of a tart, and the pears add the sweetness, and so it’s a combination of both together.”

Howard said her sweet potato pie is her other favorite, and it has been written about in D Magazine.

Students can celebrate Pie Day in a nontraditional way by enjoying a PieShake.

Howard created her PieShake recipe during their first Thanksgiving selling pies. She had extra pies but said her children were tired of eating them.

“I decided to take that pie and mix it in the blender with some ice cream and make a PieShake,” Howard said.

The PieShakes have grown so much in popularity, they have a booth at the Texas State Fair.

PieShake flavors include chocolate creme, banana creme, coconut creme, sweet potato, peaches and cream, razzleberry, pecan, vanilla creme, strawberry creme, chocolate creme and any pie of the day.

Biomedical engineering freshman Abin Thevarumuriyil said he could eat pie all the time.

@arianamariel_

ariana.vera@mavs.uta.edu