Call of Duty: Black Ops II

Brandon Berry, secretary treasurer for the Student Veteran Organization, said that he hopes the group's last event of the semester will help bring more awareness about the organization and what they do for veteran students.

“Not a lot of students know we are here, so we wanted to plan a fun event that would let students know what we do for veterans and how to get involved,” Berry, a finance junior, said.

The organization will host a Call of Duty free-for-all tournament during dead week from 5 to 9 p.m. Thursday at the Maverick Activities Center, sponsored by CiCi’s Pizza and featuring a $150 cash prize for the winner. Call of Duty is a first-person video game franchise regarding simulations of infantry and warfare. Dead week is the week before finals, where some students will often study and pull all-nighters.

"It will most likely be the first Call of Duty: Black Ops that we use for the tournament," Berry said. "However, that is subject to change depending on what games we will have available by the time of the event."

The group will have other games set up for students who just want to come and hang out at the event and eat lots of pizza, Berry said.

“We hope to have at least 100 people attend the event, so we still have plenty of tickets available.”

Berry also said the office is trying to set up a place online where students can purchase tickets to the event.

Kadedra Green, president of the organization, said she hopes the event will help promote and gain support for what the Student Veteran Organization does to assist veteran students. Green said the group focuses on providing assistance to veteran students through peer-to-peer mentoring and tutoring, as well as helping them adjust to life on campus if they may be struggling.

“Most students don’t know that 1 out of 10 college students are former veterans,” Berry said. “The more support we have for our student soldiers who have returned home, the better.”

Students can buy tickets for the event an the Veteran Affairs Office in Davis Hall or reserve tickets by contacting Berry. The cost to enter is $5, but students who simply want to enjoy the food and watch competitors can pay $3.

ryan.wagoner@mavs.uta.edu

@r_wag22