Hooligan’s Pub has matched with VIP Matchmaking Events to host the Metroplex’s first-ever Boo(zy) Speed Dating event from 7 to 10 p.m on Aug. 8.

George Ochoa, VIP Matchmaking Events co-founder and matchmaker, said he will do on-site singles matching based on people’s drink selection from an offering of beer, wine, prosecco, vodka, rum, tequila and gin, and their answers to a brief questionnaire.

“Our goal is to hopefully have everyone matched with someone that they at least have fun with and can have a conversation with, even if it doesn’t click romantically,” Ochoa said.

Matt Randolph, Hooligan’s Pub social media strategist, said the event is uniquely located where UTA students can dive into a more casual dating scene and meet other local singles.

“It’s a great opportunity for college students [who] are 21 and up to be able to find a college sweetheart,” Randolph said.

Danica Edd, co-founder and event coordinator, said a more casual event like this removes “the stigma away from your typical mix and mingle” that many times discourages people from attending dating events.

The idea for the event stemmed from a study that suggests a majority of first dates start with a drink.

“What you order says a lot about you,” Edd said.

For example, Ochoa said people who drink vodka tend to play it safe on the first date, while people who drink beer are a bit more laid-back and come in with little to no expectations.

Ochoa said there has been a shift in dating culture toward more casual atmospheres rather than a traditional dinner or movie date.

“Dating culture has taken that first date idea into that mindset of, ‘We don’t want to feel the pressure, so how about we just go to happy hour?’” Ochoa said.

With the event serving as an icebreaker, he said he hopes people come with an open mind and ready to meet new people.

@rocio_mhdz