Wreck-It Ralph behaves like a video game: It’s fun, engaging, colorful, ambitious and visually spectacular.

Taking place in a low-rent arcade, the movie Wreck-It Ralph follows the story of Ralph (John C. Reilly), a video game villain in an arcade game titled Fix-It Felix Jr.

For the past 30 years, Ralph has been doing the same old job: smashing buildings, windows and furniture in Fix-It Felix Jr., only to be thrown off of the roof when players beat the game.

Sick of being abused and mistreated as a game villain, Ralph decides to leave his game and search for a better place out in the arcade world, one where he will be content and happy with being himself.

Developed by Walt Disney Studios and produced by John Lassater (director of Toy Story, A Bug’s Life and Cars), Wreck-It Ralph is an animated film that is filled with vibrant energy and spirit as Ralph transports from one game to another.

Within this world of gaming characters and icons lays many hidden references and Easter eggs to popular video game icons and characters. These special appearances range from games such as Pac-man to Sonic The Hedgehog.

Many of them were unexpected, but they were also the funniest moments in the movie. There’s just something funny about Ken asking Ryu if they want to grab a beer later after they’re done fighting each other in Street Fighter.

The environments Ralph visits are brought to life through their bright, textured colors and animation, from the bug-eyed, darkly-infested worlds of Hero’s Duty, to the sweet, sensational cotton candy fields of Sugar Rush.

Yes, the film may be somewhat childish, but doesn’t it have the right to be?

Wreck-It Ralph is a hilarious and heartwarming adventure that sweeps us of our feet with its spectacle of visual effects and colors, and it definitely deserves a 1-Up for its effort.

David Dunn is an aspiring filmmaker, critic, and analyst currently attending the University of Texas at Arlington, and writes for the newspaper, The Shorthorn.