Glass sale displays unique art - The Shorthorn : Arts And Entertainment

default avatar
Welcome to the site! Login or Signup below.
|
||
Logout|My Dashboard

Glass sale displays unique art

Print
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Friday, March 29, 2013 5:30 pm | Updated: 3:01 pm, Thu Feb 6, 2014.

Alumna Linda Chrysler makes glass jewelry herself and teaches jewelry making classes through Continuing Education at UTA.

Chrysler browsed through different pieces of glass art Friday at the annual Glass Art Show and Sale at the Studio Arts Center hosted by the glass department at UTA.

Half of the money from the sale will go to the students, and the glass art program will use the rest to fund scholarships and lectures from visiting artists, David Keens, art and art history professor said.

Chrysler said she loved the glass art sale this year for the bright colors used in the pieces. She personally likes using bright colors when she makes glass jewelry.

“There are some good artists,” she said. “I like the bright colors they use.”

Keens said about 1,000 pieces are sold at the sale each year. However, an official number of items sold this year, as well as the amount of money brought in, wasn't available by press time.

“It’s been pretty full all day long. People have been coming out ever since 8 a.m.,” he said.

Arlington resident Donna Reinsch attended the one-day sale for the first time this year.

“I have wanted to come here for years,” she said. “It’s fantastic.”

Reinsch’s favorite pieces were the uniquely shaped vases with mouths opening like flower petals. She said she plans to attend the sale every year.

Glass graduate student Morgan Chivers had about 150 pieces on sale and got the chance to talk to some of his buyers.

“We work all year and we just talk to each other. One day in the year, we talk to all these people,” he said about getting feedback from someone other than his classmates or professors.

“It feels good to get that kind of recognition,” he said.

Lee Johnston bought an orange vase for his sister as an advanced birthday present.

UTA alumnus Johnston graduated in 1981. He lives in Duncanville and tries to support different activities in school.

“I am a real fan of blown glass,” he said. “We always buy something.”

Johnston said the quality of art in the sale has improved throughout the years. In the past, there was a huge difference between the art on sale and the art for auction. Now, it is the same, he said.

@vallarigupte

vallari.gupte@mavs.uta.edu

More about

More about

More about

Rules of Conduct

• 1 Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
  • 2 Don't Threaten or Abuse. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated. AND PLEASE TURN OFF CAPS LOCK.
  • 3 Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
  • 4 Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
  • 5 Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
  • 6 Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.

Featured Classified Ad