Glass senior Josh Hargrave takes molten glass out of a furnace burning at 2100 degrees. He intricately shapes molten glass with tools creating leaf petals for a small rose.

This is the type of live demonstrations visitors will see at the annual World-Class Glass Art Show and Sale. Pieces on sale include works done by faculty, staff and undergraduate and graduate students. Shoppers can buy pieces ranging from $10 up to more than $1,000.

In the glass studio, there are chatter and laughter while students keep busy preparing pieces for the event. Hargrave said making glass art is different from any other medium because it utilizes a lot of energy and help from other people.

“There is a lot of technical work that goes into it,” he said. “It requires so much teamwork, so it fosters community within the program. We’re all pretty much best friends.”

Glass senior Christine Heimerman agreed that glass making requires a lot of attention and energy.

“We’re working with material that is constantly moving, you have to be 100 percent focused,” she said. “You have to start and finish the piece without leaving it.”

Glass senior Linda Ostman will sell her pieces for the first time at the sale. She said she’s nervous about what other people might think of her artwork.

“I think to myself will it sell? What will people think about it?” she said. “But this is a great opportunity for students to showcase their work.”

Ostman also explained she isn’t going to feel bad about getting rid of her art because she knew she is going to get better. That is something glass art professor David Keens tells his students to do.

When: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Friday

Where: Studio Arts Center

810 S. Davis Drive

Arlington

Contact: dkeens@uta.edu

Keens said students shouldn’t hold onto pieces because it is self-defeating, such as telling themselves that it is the best work they will ever do. He knew they can do better.

“I encourage students to not think that way, but rather to have the confidence that they are always going to do better and better work,” he said. “I encourage students to think about the work as a learning exercise and move onto another piece that you can learn more from.”

Keens said the event is also a learning experience for the shoppers because this is an opportunity for them to see how glass is made and then buy the artwork to support the glass art program.{jathumbnail off}

A portion of the money raised from the sale will go toward the student artist. The rest will benefit the glass art program to buy and update existing equipment.

Heimerman said the sale helps keep the facility running and also helps support the students.

“This is an opportunity for people to get their hand on real local art,” she said. “To support the art community in your area.”

Follow Nicole on Twitter: @NicLuna

{gallery}sigplus/glassblowing{/gallery}