Work Hard, Play Hard

Myself shooting some test footage for our video project at the Kappa Sigma museum. Disclaimer: the tombstone is not mine.

I’ve hated video editing for as long as I can remember.

I’ve had to endure way too many sleepless nights filled with hours of programs crashing, projects rendering and videos exporting. For five frustrating years, this is what I’ve had to deal with.

I have never seen any reason or purpose for my frustration or technical difficulty. But if any of those infuriating hours has somehow lead me to becoming as skilled as I am now, all of those sleepless nights were worth it.

It’s halfway through June, and I’m just getting used to my internship hours at Kappa Sigma headquarters in Charlottesville, VA.

The past week has been taxing to say the least. Besides working on our summer project, the executive officer instructional video series, I was also asked to work on the recruitment video for the 2016-17 school year. Last year’s video can be seen below:

Good God. How was I going to do this?

I wasn’t too concerned about editing the video itself. After all, I have experience in both film and video production. Cutting in and out of clips was a skill I learned years ago during my college freshman year. That wasn’t going to be a problem, especially since I was already given all of the footage and photos that I would need.

What was going to be a problem were the graphics. I have minor experience with Adobe Flash. Bold, underline, italicize, and capitalize the word MINOR.

I played around with it years earlier and made a rough animation about a mad scientist trying to get his cat out of his laboratory, but that production was shoddy at best and unmarketable at its worst.

This was Kappa Sigma’s recruitment video. How on Earth was I going to make this a quality product?

Luckily, one of my fellow interns provided me the answer: keyframing.

Keyframing adjusts a video’s position, scale and rotation under a video’s effect controls. It is the simplest way to animate a video clip using editing suites like Final Cut Pro or Adobe Premiere.

When I finished, I was impressed at how fluid the animation looked in my clips. It didn’t look like a student broadcaster’s work. It looked professional, like last year’s recruitment video. I was proud of myself for how good it looked.

I showed the final video to our recruitment managers, and they were unanimously impressed. Considering that no editing was completed the day before, they thought this was a very good starting point to work from.

I still have a few slight edits to make, such as replacing a few clips and adjusting the font I’m using. But for now, I’m pleased with myself.

I’ve come a long way from being the novice film student I was years ago, and to know that my skills have improved this much is very fulfilling to me.

Now if you’ll excuse me, I have some editing to do.

@dDUnn87

multimedia.editor-shorthorn@uta.edu